This lovely cake comes from an old cook book my Mother in-law gave to me.
After this picture was taken, I decorated the cake with a icing made of icing sugar, fresh orange and apple juice and 2 tsp of cinnamon.
This is what you need:
175g Butter, softened
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175g self-raising flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 apples, cut in small pieces
2 tsp apple juice or milk
a small handful flaked almonds
- lightly grease a cake tin, I used a bread tin, but you can you anything you like. If you bake the cake in small muffin cups reduce the baking time and if you do as I did, increase the baking time.
- Mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs.
- Sieve the flour and cinnamon and fold them into the mixture. Then mix in the apples, the apple juice or milk to a soft dropping consistency.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds around the base of the cake tin and spoon the cake mixture on top.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180˚ for about 30 min (Mine took nearly an hour due to the size of tin i used) When a skewer comes out clean the cake is done!
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely (if you can wait) You can serve the cake with vanilla ice cream for the extra wow factor....